SUBMISSION GUIDELINES and TERMS
for Issue 5 will be updated prior to opening…
Guidelines and terms change from issue to issue, so please read.
To re-visit guidelines/terms as they were for issue 4 see here.
SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED
Frost Zone Zine is a quarterly zine that is published in digital and print formats. The print issue is a digest-magazine-size paperback book that averages 80-100 pages.
(Print will be changing after this year; see this post for more information.)
What we do want:
Supernatural. Quiet Horror. Gothic. Paranormal. Eerie. Strange. Folklore. Magic.
Preferably 20th or 21st century, real-world settings.
Original, unpublished, never-broadcast short stories 1000-3500 words. Submit 1 or 2 stories for consideration.
Also non-paying opportunities: flash fiction 300 – 1000 words, and drabble (exactly 100 words). Submit up to 3 pieces for consideration.
What we don’t want:
Do not send material that is offensive, promotes or describes hate, torture, or abuse, is excessively gory or violent; no slasher. No religious, sexual, explicitly adult situations, or politics.
No space opera. No fan fiction. No ‘formula’ stories. No derivative works: no retellings of or allusions to fairytales or other literary works.
No media tie-ins, or current events/pop culture references.
We have a strong aversion to name-dropping celebrities, media outlets, and corporations, and to product placement — generic descriptions work just as well as brand names.
Frost Zone Zine does not charge reading or submission fees.
Payment is expected to increase with time, but as a small, self-funded publication, the following compensation is offered:
These pieces may or may not appear on the website, other than a preview, and listed in the table of contents, but will be published in the eBooks and print books.
Short Story: (1000-2500 words) 6.00 CAD
(2500 words – 3500 words) 8.00 CAD
CAD = Canadian Dollars paid via Paypal.
Paypal will deduct fees from the amount, including exchange rate and transaction fees.
If you are unable to accept Paypal payments, you will not be compensated.
Canadian authors (who live in Canada and have a Canadian bank account) may opt to be paid via eTransfer.
These pieces will be published online/free to read. They may also be included in eBook and print book issues.
Drabble: (exactly 100-word fiction)
Flash Fiction: (300 – 1000 words)
Interview: We cannot pay you to be interviewed by us.
Anyone may submit for issue 5, which is a special, themed issue.
(Otherwise, it is the aim not to include any author in two consecutive issues.) Submissions will always be chosen on the basis of quality writing and what suits the issue’s needs, not previous acceptances.
How to Submit
There is a link to our submissions manager at the bottom of this page. You will need to open an account with Green Submissions.
(There is now an additional link, to Duosuma submission manager).
Please include a cover letter mentioning:
(This can be added to the text box in the submission manager)
- Type of submission: drabble, flash fiction, short story
- Word count
- To which market you are submitting – in this case, Frost Zone Zine. Why? Because we have received submissions meant for a separate anthology call of Frost Zone Press, and vise versa.
- Where you learned of this publication
- Your physical location (City/Town/Country)
BIO: enter into the plain text box provided in the submission manager a brief bio (up to 50 words) written in the third person.
Include any social media or website links that you wish to be in your bio at the end of the bio; as part of the bio – otherwise, we are guessing which accounts you want to be published. The links will be live only on the website; one or more may be added in eBooks (not live links), and print books.
Your submission: you can enter the text into the plain text field provided, especially desired for drabbles and flash fiction. For files: only .doc or .docx are accepted formats.
Upon acceptance of your work, you are granting Frost Zone Zine First Worldwide Electronic and Serial Rights, meaning that the piece(s) should not appear in any online, print, or digital publication before the release of all formats (online, electronic, and print) of the issue in which your work appears. We request three months’ exclusivity from the date of publication,. (please do not have the piece(s) published elsewhere until three months have passed.) and non-exclusive rights thereafter for your piece(s) published on the website, and in electronic and print versions of the issue in which your piece(s) appear.
Acceptance is not firm until a simple release form is signed. We reserve the right to retract an acceptance if the author fails to promptly sign the form.
All rights will revert to the author upon publication. Please mention that your piece(s) was/were first published in Frost Zone Zine, including issue# and date, should they later be published as (a) reprint(s).
Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please mention if it is. If your submission is accepted elsewhere, please withdraw it through our submissions manager. This is only possible while your submission is pending with us. If your submission has been moved on to a second reading, you will need to contact us to withdraw your submission. If we accept your submission, withdraw the piece immediately from other publications.
When a submission is moved to ‘second reading’ or when a submission is ‘declined’, please log in to your Green Submissions account to check if there are any notes from the editor posted.
By submitting your work for consideration, you agree to the following:
- You confirm that the work you submit to Frost Zone Zine for consideration is your own, original writing.
- You confirm that the work has not been previously published, whether, in print, digital, online, or any other form, and the work has not been previously broadcast (podcast, video, etc.).
- You agree not to hold Frost Zone Zine, Cryoseism Press/Frost Zone Press, or the editor(s) liable for any damages, perceived or real, arising from your submission and/or the publication of your submission.
- You confirm that the characters in the fiction you submit are fictitious.
- You have read and agree to the payment terms as applicable to writers in your location.
- You confirm that you are 18 years of age or older at the time of submitting work to us.
Retraction: We reserve the right to retract any acceptance of your work, even after a release form has been signed by you. There are only a few reasons why this retraction might occur, including but not limited to:
- You misrepresented yourself or the work you submitted.
- In light of learned information, we decide that publishing your work may cause controversy or harm to our publication.
- Unable to reach author/no communication.
If your submission is not accepted:
- It is not personal – there is limited space and pieces that suit the issue best will be selected
- Your piece may work well in another market; try submitting it elsewhere
- Please do not contact us about our decision
- Do not send another submission during the same submission period unless we have asked for one.
- Do not send a rejected piece in the next submission period, unless we have suggested ways to revise, and you are submitting a greatly updated version.
You will be notified within one month after the submission close date — if not sooner, whether or not your submission is accepted to be published in the upcoming issue. We reserve the right to make necessary edits without your consent. Please read the more information page to see what type of editing may be required. You will be notified if any major changes need to be made.
The release form will be sent for you to sign electronically. This form must be signed before your acceptance is considered firm.
Refer to the this page for helpful information before submitting your work.
Ready to submit? Sign up is quick and easy:
Two submissions managers available, no submission fees.
Submit here: Green Submissions
- You will have to open an account with Green Submissions.
- Note: there is no option to set up auto-response emails informing you that your submission has been received, so watch for the highlighted words: ‘Your submission has been successful’ on the page after submitting.
- You will be able to track or withdraw your submission through the submission manager.
Alternately, you can also submit through Duosuma (Duotrope’s submissions manager):
Thank you for your interest in contributing to Frost Zone Zine.